Wednesday 22 April 2009

Why Susan Boyle's Success Terrifies Me -

By Becky Pugh Last Updated: 12:08PM BST 22 Apr 2009

A star is born. Susan Boyle: a tonic for the nation. Dreams can come true. She has the talent to conquer the world. Simple Susie Superstar. Every time I read a headline lauding Susan Boyle's extraordinary and unlikely gift of a voice, I feel more and more uncomfortable.

I am as much to blame for my sense of unease as the next person. Last week, I rode the crest of the wave with everybody else. I had Boyle's YouTube clip permanently on my screen. I discussed her at length with my friends and colleagues. It was thrilling to see somebody for whom life has dealt so many blows experience a moment of sheer triumph. Her voice was powerful, her song choice poignant, her pride moving.

Britain's Got Talent finds an unlikely superstarFor once the phrase "overnight sensation" was not just hyperbole. Her performance has grabbed the attention of 100 million YouTube viewers (which, by the way, is 80 million more than Obama's inauguration speech has attracted). Demi Moore was so moved by the voice of the "hairy angel" that she wept. Simon Cowell wants to sign her to his label. She made the front page of The Washington Post. Oprah invited Boyle on to her show. Jay Leno dressed up as her on Saturday Night Live. Piers Morgan asked her out to dinner. Elaine Paige suggested recording a duet with her. The consensus was that the competition is Boyle's.

Read More Here

No comments:

Post a Comment